Available Now // Email: mingwei (dot) quek (at) gmail (dot) com // Phone: +65 903(five) 787(zero)
I'm a freelance illustrator and writer from Singapore, and an avid learner of all kinds of new knowledge. On any given day you're most likely to find me doing these:
- Delving into science books and websites;
- Drawing for hours with my trusty Wacom tablet;
- Tackling the nuances of a new language (I'm still quite a ways from full proficiency in my third language Japanese, but I'll press on!);
- Solving anything from everyday problems to encoded puzzles;
- Discovering a new, time-saving way of finishing a task on software I'm using (I live on keyboard shortcuts);
- Enjoying a morning hike in a nature park or reserve;
- Finding humour in just about anything I come across.
All that said, my main interest still lies in storytelling through words and pictures, and I hope to pick up more skills related to concept/content development in the marketing and branding/advertising sectors.
I'm currently fully booked for short-/long-term creative projects. Still, feel free to contact me at mingwei (dot) quek (at) gmail (dot) com for my latest CV/resume, or if you have any questions or thoughts.
Thanks for stopping by!
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Writing, Copyediting
- Hand / Digital Drawing
- Comics, Sequential Art, Storyboarding
- Creative / Corporate Writing
- Character / Concept Design
- Subject Research / Analysis
- OS Proficiency: Mac, Windows
- Microsoft Office
- Languages: English, Chinese, Japanese
- Web Dev: HTML5, CSS3
- First and foremost: A creative thinker!
- Great communication and interpersonal skills
- Attentive to detail and words
- A self-motivated and active learner
- Responsible and dependable
- Independent worker + Team player
- Experience in working on Mac/Windows platforms
Kinokuniya Book Stores of Singapore Pte Ltd
Store Sales Retail Executive (Japanese Books)
Singapore · August 2015 – April 2018
I managed several book categories I love (Children’s, Languages and Science, among others), and with my enthusiasm helped to increase their sales figures during my time at the company. I also immunised myself against the many challenges in customer service and learnt to juggle several operational deadlines at the same time. What I’ve learnt goes way more than what I could from books alone!
InsightMatrix Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
Singapore · December 2013 – June 2015
A.K.A. my first foray into the communications sector. As a media analyst I managed several corporate clients' accounts simultaneously, and worked together with teams of writers to deliver detailed qualitative analysis reports. Other roles included translating media articles and editing report drafts from other writers. Here I honed my copyediting skills, and learnt to liaise professionally with corporate clients.
Tots Publishing Pte Ltd
UI Designer, Illustrator, Writer
Singapore · September 2011 – November 2013
Being a part of a small startup that produces educational iPhone/iPad apps for children, I was given many opportunities to showcase my creativity. Besides designing the UI and visual assets of the various apps, I also illustrated several flashcards, sprites and backgrounds, and was tasked to research educational facts to be used in the apps.
Nanyang Technological University
BFA Digital Animation
Singapore · 2006 – 2010